Date: 6/20/20 12:29 pm
From: michael krall <michaelkrall670...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Helping others get on a good bird
I appreciate Paul's description and experience here. I hesitate to attempt
to add to it but here goes. I've pondered this issue for some time too, and
must confess that I'm not nearly as good at this as I'd like to be. A few
years ago I tried to come up with a system and a memorable mnemonic to
help. Here's what I came up with:

DADDY

D- Description of the bird
Eg: is it a robin, or a sparrow sized yellow bird?
This is first, because some people may not wish to stop looking at an
interesting subject to the right, if the bird called out to the left is one
that they are less interested in. Also it gives an idea as to whether to
look for something small or large,

A-Activity
Eg: is it flying, perched in a pine tree, walking along the shoreline?

D-Direction
Eg: at 12 o/clock, directly in front, moving left, moving right

D- Distance/angle
Eg: 100 yards away, 45 degrees above the horizon, etc.

Y- AnY other useful information

There's a lot of similarity here to what Paul so eloquently wrote. Perhaps
for some this may be a useful way to remember it.

Michael Krall

Join us on Facebook!