Date: 6/20/20 9:15 am
From: Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
Subject: RE: [MDBirding] Chat???
Andy,
I've attached a map from eBird showing locations (the red markers) where Yellow-breasted Chats have been observed in June of this year. You have a lot to choose from. If you click on this link, it will take you to a live version of the map, and you can zoom in to Maryland and the exact area you want and then click on any of the red markers to get the name of the location and more information, such as exact date and observer. https://ebird.org/map/yebcha?neg=true&env.minX=167.3311147628072&env.minY=-9.503275067526603&env.maxX=12.331942075276675&env.maxY=63.627817210024524&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=6-7&bmo=6&emo=7&yr=cur

The species sighting map is truly one of the handiest features of eBird. In case anyone wants to know how to generate such a map:
- Go to eBird.
- In the menu bar at the top, choose <Explore>
- On the Explore page that comes up next, choose <Species Maps>
- On the Species Map page that come up next, in the menu bar at the top, enter the species name (Yellow-breasted Chat) in the species box; note that as you type the name, a list of bird species names will appear below the box where you're typing. Choose the correct one. (Tip: you can also enter four-letter species codes here - YBCH - and then can choose the full name of the species from the resultant drop-down list).
- Next, also in the top menu, set the date range you're interested in using the choices in the drop-down menu. The map I set up is for June-July of the current year.
- Then, set location as Maryland, USA, or whatever you want (could be a county or could be an eBird hotspot), or you can leave the location blank and just zoom in when the map appears.
- I also like to click <Show Points Sooner> in the menu sidepanel at the right, which reduces the amount of zooming required.

There you have it.

Marcia
_________
Marcia Watson
Patuxent Bird Club
A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society
www.patuxentbirdclub.org

Bowie, MD
<Marshwren50...>