Date: 6/19/20 12:54 pm
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] Re: COVID-19 and birding in Lincoln County [I Live in Newport]
Hi,

I live in Newport, and many local people are not wearing masks that cover
their nose and mouth in buildings open to the public, including Fred
Meyers. People seem to be doing social distancing pretty good in the few
places I have intentionally gone at slow times just to avoid crowds. But
social distancing may be less good at crowded times. There are a few
people here in Newport in almost combative denial, where if it is even
nicely "suggested" to them to wear a mask or to maintain a social distance
say this is all a hoax.

Since the Pacific Seafoods outbreak, I have gone to a small group inside a
private building with poor air ventilation that is 2 blocks from Pacific
Seafoods. Only 2 of us in a group of about 12 wore a mask that covered our
nose and mouth--one person came with his mask around his elbow and said he
is wearing his mask. I was not brave enough to challenge him.

That is my experience here.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:13 AM Mary Garrard <springazure1...>
wrote:

> Hi, so sorry to rain on your parade…..but I think it’s a prudent choice.
> The beach will be there forever…..I miss it like crazy myself.
>
> The locals have said they really appreciate outsiders staying away for
> now, despite the economic pain.
>
> Hope you can find an alternative way to have a lovely birding weekend!
>
> Mary
>

> On Jun 19, 2020, at 10:42 AM, JodAndy Vanderwall <vanderwall3720...>
> wrote:
>
> Well, nevermind! Guess we won't be going to the coast. JUST read this
> email.
>
> The Vanderwalls
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 6:47 AM Mary Garrard <springazure1...> wrote:
>
>> I forgot to include this link to the Oregon Health Authority’s weekly
>> report, which came out yesterday so it has the latest information. Perhaps
>> more than anyone really wants to know….
>>

>> https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/DISEASESCONDITIONS/DISEASESAZ/Emerging%20Respitory%20Infections/COVID-19-Weekly-Report-2020-06-17-FINAL.pdf
>>
>> Mary
>>

>> On Jun 19, 2020, at 6:42 AM, Mary Garrard <springazure1...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone, you may or may not know that Lincoln County has had a large
>> outbreak of COVID-19 with 145 cases in a seafood processing plant, as of
>> early June. There are also 7 cases at Local Ocean, a favorite restaurant on
>> the Newport bayfront, and I have heard a rumor that there were a number of
>> cases at the Fred Meyer store in Newport but that’s not confirmed. Lincoln
>> County Health Department has mandated masks.
>>
>> In light of this, I hope that birders will avoid Lincoln County and
>> perhaps other coastal communities. The risk may be low, especially on a
>> single day visit, but an unexpected event—a sprained ankle, a flat
>> tire—could add a small burden to community resources. Further, we should
>> assume that there is community spread, and it would be unfortunate to seed
>> more cases into the area, or take cases away.
>>
>> The economic and emotional pain of the pandemic is deep and real and
>> unlikely to end anytime soon despite the wishful thinking of some. Best of
>> health to all.
>>
>> Happy summer birding!
>>
>> Mary

Join us on Facebook!