Date: 6/19/20 12:05 pm
From: Liz Lackey <lackeytomliz...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Bird baths
We have a “drip” in our yard, adjacent to a hedge and under a shrub. Watched a male scarlet tanager take a bath mid day. Gorgeous. Especially when it was drying off and preening in the sun.

I don’t feed birds, including humming birds. I enjoy watching the hummers feed on the flowers in the gardens instead. They keep me company as I work.

An indigo bunting and a male hummer share sentry duty from the top of a large maple in the yard. They perch up side by side on bear twigs coming up above the crown. I love watching them. They are on guard every day, even during the hottest hours. Sometimes the Bluebird, or Phoebe joins them way up there. The tree is dying but I’m reluctant to remove it. It is used by so many birds as a perch or sally forth point. It is the highest vantage point away from the forest edge.

Always something new to watch,

Liz Lackey
Stowe, VT

> On Jun 19, 2020, at 8:41 AM, John Snell <jrsnelljr...> wrote:
>
> Our Montpelier yard doesn’t have any natural sources of water for birds. I delight each morning watching the number of birds, especially the pairs, come to bathe in the small stone bath we acquired several years ago. Cardinals, Catbirds, Titmice, Chickadees, White-crowned and White-throated sparrows, Goldfinches, Robins—these and others always provide a good reason to stop and enjoy watching them.
>
> This time of year, the bathing and drinking continue throughout the day. If you don’t have a source of water in your yard, I encourage you to create one or two and to make it easy to refresh it a couple times each day.
>
> Still learning to see,
>
> John
>

> http://www.johnsnell.photography <http://www.eyeimagein.com/>
> http://www.stilllearningtosee.com <http://www.stilllearningtosee.com/>