Date: 6/19/20 11:03 am
From: Noah Strycker <noah.strycker...>
Subject: [obol] Re: White-rumped vs. Semipalmated Sandpiper?
In spring, a White-rumped Sandpiper (in breeding plumage) would have dense,
crisp lines of streaks across the breast and down the flanks, and the base
of the lower mandible would be light fleshy colored. A White-rumped's bill
should be more tapered toward the tip, and appear a little droopy. As Bob
pointed out, the structure of this bird also doesn't fit the long-winged,
drawn-out profile of a White-rumped (which is structurally closest to
Baird's, befitting those two species' long-distance migrations).

There is some variation in bill length/shape in Semipalmated Sandpipers
(though not as variable as Westerns); relying on bill proportions to ID
calidris sandpipers is tricky at best.

Good birding,
Noah

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:09 AM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> Now maybe since we mostly see juvenile Semi Sands in fall in Oregon,
> perhaps juvenile Semi Sands have blunt bills
> that later get pointed as they mature? Or is this going off the deep end?
> Bob OBrien
>

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:00 AM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
>> Well, I dunno. That is a often-mentioned mark for White-rumped, but I
>> think this guy fits into that slot OK
>> Here is an overlay with a White-rumped from Macaulay library, sizing more
>> or less the same and lining up the eyes.
>> Has anyone ever seen a Semi Sand with a sharp bill like this in Oregon?
>> Any photos?
>> Bob OBrien
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 8:48 AM Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> Structure is wrong for a White-rumped, they have long primaries well
>>> past tertials and the tail.
>>>
>>> Bob Archer

Join us on Facebook!