Date: 6/19/20 9:03 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: White-rumped vs. Semipalmated Sandpiper?
Well, I dunno. That is a often-mentioned mark for White-rumped, but I
think this guy fits into that slot OK
Here is an overlay with a White-rumped from Macaulay library, sizing more
or less the same and lining up the eyes.
Has anyone ever seen a Semi Sand with a sharp bill like this in Oregon?
Any photos?
Bob OBrien

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 8:48 AM Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Structure is wrong for a White-rumped, they have long primaries well past
> tertials and the tail.
>
> Bob Archer
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 8:39 AM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
>> While looking for something else I accidentally came across this photo,
>> taken this month in British Columbia
>> https://ebird.org/checklist/S70446153
>> Identified as a Semipalmated, I'd suggest a White-rumped, based upon the
>> narrow, sharply-pointed bill.
>> But, seems like I recall some discussion some time suggesting that
>> eastern Semipalmated have more pointed bills than the ones we get here on
>> the West Coast, which can usually be IDed from Western just by their blunt
>> bills.
>> No discussion of the ID in the eBird report and an easy mistake to make,
>> unless you looked for the rump in takeoff/flight. And since White-rumped
>> would not be expected, who knows?
>> What do people think?
>> Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!