Date: 6/19/20 8:39 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] White-rumped vs. Semipalmated Sandpiper?
While looking for something else I accidentally came across this photo,
taken this month in British Columbia
https://ebird.org/checklist/S70446153
Identified as a Semipalmated, I'd suggest a White-rumped, based upon the
narrow, sharply-pointed bill.
But, seems like I recall some discussion some time suggesting that eastern
Semipalmated have more pointed bills than the ones we get here on the West
Coast, which can usually be IDed from Western just by their blunt bills.
No discussion of the ID in the eBird report and an easy mistake to make,
unless you looked for the rump in takeoff/flight. And since White-rumped
would not be expected, who knows?
What do people think?
Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!