Date: 6/17/20 12:03 pm
From: jg441157j5x <jg441157j5x...>
Subject: RE: [ia-bird] Re: eBird Records
Thank you for that information Aaron!Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Aaron Brees <aebrees...> Date: 6/17/20 1:24 PM (GMT-06:00) To: IA-BIRD <ia-bird...> Subject: [ia-bird] Re: eBird Records Paul and anyone else who may be interested in this:One way to get an idea of who entered what is to go to the eBird homepage, then type Woodbury, Iowa into the Explore Regions search.  This will take you to the Woodbury species list with the species listed in order from most recently reported, to least recently reported.  Any time you see a state or county list unexpectedly increase, it is always because someone has entered a big batch of old records into eBird. Of those old records, there are often records of rarities that have not reoccured since eBird use became common, so these represent the first and only records for those species for the county.  If you scroll down to the very bottom of the species list, that is where you will find most of these accidentals.  In the case of Woodbury, you will see that Bill Huser has added his database of records to eBird which has added many species to the list based on records from the 1980s through mid-2000s.  The other account that has added a number of species to the list based on old records is the Iowa Published Records account.  This is an account I created to enter significant Iowa records that have been formally published (usually but not always in IBL) but which have not been entered into eBird by the actual observer.  This should include all records accepted by the IOU Records Committee up through 2019 I think.  For the whole state of Iowa, there are now eBird records of 428 of the 430 species on the IOU state list.  I know Sharp-tailed Grouse is one that is still missing but I am not sure what the other one is.Aaron BreesPolk City, IowaOn Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 12:55 PM Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...> wrote:Good afternoon all,  Greeting from Sioux City.  Yesterday I happened to glance at the Woodbury County eBird list and found that someone had taken the time to enter or to cause to be entered all the missing species records that had never been added by individuals (some from way back in the 1840's) into eBird.    New Woodbury County List is 319.I am very curious as to who was the fairy godmother (or godfather) who completed this task.  Plymouth County had also been updated and I suspect maybe all counties??Please let me know (offline if you prefer) or let us know how this was accomplished and who you are.   This is great news for eBird and for historical purposes.God Bless,Paul O. RoisenWoodbury County, IAMobile 712-301-2817