Date: 6/17/20 11:24 am
From: Aaron Brees <aebrees...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Re: eBird Records
Paul and anyone else who may be interested in this:

One way to get an idea of who entered what is to go to the eBird homepage,
then type Woodbury, Iowa into the Explore Regions search. This will take
you to the Woodbury species list with the species listed in order from most
recently reported, to least recently reported. Any time you see a state or
county list unexpectedly increase, it is always because someone has entered
a big batch of old records into eBird. Of those old records, there are
often records of rarities that have not reoccured since eBird use became
common, so these represent the first and only records for those species for
the county. If you scroll down to the very bottom of the species list,
that is where you will find most of these accidentals. In the case of
Woodbury, you will see that Bill Huser has added his database of records to
eBird which has added many species to the list based on records from the
1980s through mid-2000s. The other account that has added a number of
species to the list based on old records is the Iowa Published Records
account. This is an account I created to enter significant Iowa records
that have been formally published (usually but not always in IBL) but which
have not been entered into eBird by the actual observer. This should
include all records accepted by the IOU Records Committee up through 2019 I
think. For the whole state of Iowa, there are now eBird records of 428 of
the 430 species on the IOU state list. I know Sharp-tailed Grouse is one
that is still missing but I am not sure what the other one is.

Aaron Brees

Polk City, Iowa