Date: 6/16/20 5:00 pm
From: Noah Arthur <semirelicta...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Laugher in Ventura yesterday
Hey IA Birders! I'm a vagrant from California living and working in Iowa
for most of this year. I loved spring migration here, but so far the summer
seemed rather slow birding-wise... until yesterday, when I stopped by a
pond along Highway 18 in Ventura (Cerro Gordo Co.) where a tattered
1st-summer LAUGHING GULL was hanging with a small flock of RING-BILLS. It's
the pond at Warp Drive Inc., along 18 just west of Cardinal Ave. (it's
strictly closed to the public, maybe due to COVID-19, so if you look for
the bird, view only from the roadside). I stopped by again today and didn't
see the Laugher, but there were even more gulls, all on the far side of the
pond and some with heads tucked, so it could have still been there but
overlooked.

eBird with photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S70480906

Noah Arthur (Oakland, CA; currently in Cedar Falls, IA)