Date: 6/16/20 11:07 am
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Subject: [obol] Wallowa Co Birds - Late / No Rare Birds
Hi OBOL Folks

Earlier this month Jeanne and I visited Wallowa County in the Troy area for several days. This is an under-birded portion of north Wallowa county. In addition to some unique birding it offers outstanding canyon land scenery along the Grand Ronde River and good forest habitats in nearby Wallowa Whitman NF. This results in some amazing habitat diversity; we really enjoyed our time there.

Birds of note included: DUSKY GROUSE, WILLIAMSON’S SAPSUCKER, VEERY, RED-EYED VIREO, GREAT GRAY OWL, FOX SPARROW, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD, and very numerous YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS. I was lucky to add a few personal county birds: LEWIS’S , BLACK-BACKED, and WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS; also, FLAMMULATED OWL (singing nicely at two sites), COMMON POORWILL and YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD (near Flora area). All checklists are at eBird.

We stayed at Scott O’Donnell’s (OBOL Contributor) Speywater Lodge near Troy. Scott and his wife Stephanie offer comfortable and affordable lodging for birders at what is normally operated as a fly-fishing lodge. This is in an area with few options other than camping. It was great to meet Scott and spend some time in the field together. Scott is very knowledgable and generously shared information about local birds and natural history. They also maintain active hummingbird and bird feeders. We found it a great base to bird the area from and recommend it. Contact https://www.speywater.com for information.

All the best
Ken Chamberlain
@Portland, ORUNSUBSCRIBE: www.freelists.org/list/obol
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>