Date: 6/15/20 6:03 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] How do you find a rare bird?
Find a lot of common birds and look at most of them carefully. "Dogged persistence" was my father's mantra. Sift through all the Brewer's Blackbirds instead of ticking the species off the list the first half hour and ignoring them the next seven. Scrutinize a hundred Golden-crowned Sparrows as the occasion presents itself. Generally spend a lot of hours on foot, not talking, not ticking a great deal. Courting tedium . I'm sure if the effort was quantified the bulk of rarities discovered would be attributed to birders who spend one and two orders of magnitude more time in the field than the rest of us.        I enjoyed your story Paul. I can easily imagine 100s of Obol subscribers enjoying it as well and as a result of the vicarious pleasure it brings forego a drive of their own. The miniscule carbon footprint of your Wood Thrush chase may be negative!Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!