Date: 6/15/20 5:50 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: The saga of the Veery and the Wood Thrush (long)
Hi David,

I also prefer to find my own rarities and have NOT chased many “lifers” or
state birds recently found by others in the last decade. Most of my chasing
is on the south coast these days.

Anyhow, upon hearing the description of where this bird was and knowing
that it promised a most enjoyable hike, I was compelled to go down. I have
always wanted to see the Klamath Gorge. It is spectacular! We saw people
backpacking in on our way out. I count myself lucky to have seen such
beauty.

Of course another big draw was to bird with friends I don’t see often which
included the two “finders” and Dave Haupt, all excellent birders and just
fun people to hang with. I went down Saturday afternoon, camped in the
Cascades at a remarkably beautiful non-campground location and picked up
Frank Mayer at 0430 in KFalls. We met Kevin and Dave and Paul and Courtney
and Caleb at 0530 at the rim and began or journey.

The wildflowers on the walk down were spectacular! We saw cool birds like
gnatcatchers and many singing Nashville Warblers etc. etc. just hiking
down. The river bottom is a paradise and the only spot in the county for YB
Chat and Wrentit (the latter we missed). There is a ton of history down
below and an old pioneer route that went through the area. It was utterly
spectacular Wood Thrush or not.

I really pick my chases anymore but this was a fun one, I would have been
smiling ear to ear whether or not the Wood Thrush was there or not. I also
sometimes forget that one of the perks of chasing is visiting with folks I
rarely see but enjoy visiting with very much.

Anyhow happy trails and happy birding- still looking for that mind bending
rarity in my neck iof the woods!

Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!