Date: 6/14/20 5:23 am
From: Dan Small <small.m.dan...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] putting the Northern back in Bobwhite
All,

I haven’t heard details in a little while, but I know over the last few years PA was undergoing a lot of habitat management on a select number of Wildlife Management Areas in preparation for a major Bobwhite translocation effort. Translocation studies have been ongoing for sometime now in the SE USA with great success, as long as the habitat is in good shape and will be managed on a regular basis. Translocation is very different than raising bobwhites for release, translocation involves trapping wild adults prior to spring covey breakup. The birds are then transported to the new site and released as a group.

Virginia has been working hard and for a long time on managing bobwhite habitat, they have a team of private land biologists that work with landowners interested in managing their properties for bobwhite. While I don’t know the distribution of the different populations around the state, I would image if you have been hearing bobwhite for 30 years in the same area they are more than likely wild (of course there needs to be lots of good habitat for population persistence).

Dan Small
Chestertown, MD