Date: 6/13/20 8:42 pm
From: Lorelle Sherman <lorelle.sherman...>
Subject: [obol] Please report any banded purple martins you see this season!
Hi All,

This is my annual reminder to please report any banded purple martins you
may see. They can be reported to me directly. To add the observation to the
database, we need the following information:

Band Color: red, blue, grey, gold
Band Code: alphanumeric code (ex. A365)
Leg Color Band is on: R/L
Sex/Age is helpful, but not necessary
**Each purple martin has a metal band on one leg and a larger color band
with an alphanumeric code on the other leg. The larger color band is way
easier to read.

This information can be surprisingly tricky to get, but is possible with a
spotting scope or camera. Purple martins in Oregon have been banded since
2011 in an ongoing effort to gain valuable information on population
dynamics. We've learned a great deal about the connectivity and behavior of
our PNW subspecies through this program.

Many thanks!
Lorelle Sherman

Join us on Facebook!