Date: 6/12/20 4:12 am
From: Haninah Levine <haninah...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Great Horned Owl, Petworth, DC
Continuing the backyard bird chronicles – do night-herons ever travel in
groups? A few years ago there was one night-heron who used to commute
reliably past our house at dusk, flying east. Last year we did not see it,
but this year, I sometimes see a group of three birds flying high, at the
same time and in the same direction. They are large and stocky, with broad,
rounded wings. They fly straight with uniform wingbeats, neither fast nor
slow. Not ducks (too slow, too big, short necks) or geese (short necks), or
crows (flying too straight, wings too rounded). Could it be a trio of
night-herons?