Date: 6/11/20 9:21 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Westside Wilson's Snipe breeding
The Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas shows confirmed and possible breeding from a
number of hexagons in Western Oregon
https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/bbs/

including Clatsop, Tillamook, Washington, Benton, Linn, and Jackson
counties.

Paul Sullivan
----------------------

Subject: Westside Wilson's Snipe breeding
Date: Thu Jun 11 2020 18:02 pm
From: larspernorgren AT gmail.com

Gabrielson and Jewett(1940)p.246"There are definite breeding records for
...Douglas(Hardy);Multnomah(Finley); Marion(Johnson);Linn(Prill);...and
Benton(Woodcock)Counties..."
I heard and saw a Snipe winnowing the last Thursday of April,1980 east of sw
53rd and north of Nash Road in Corvallis.
In 2007 there were three different WISN winnowing at Cedar Canyon/"Killin"
Wetland(Washington).The best habitat is up Killin Road where l don't believe
many birders drive. Graham Road provides a good prospect of the main marsh
and Killin arm. If snipe are winnowing one might find themselves at the
snipe's apogee from Graham.

-----------------------
Subject: Another Good Day at BSNWR
Date: Thu Jun 11 2020 15:37 pm
From: ticebill7 AT gmail.com

I heard the winnowing of snipe. After about 5 minutes I finally saw 2 of
them, higher up than I expected one to be. So not sure if this was a pair or
2 males vying for territory. (have any ever bred on the west side of the
Cascades?)

Bill Tice

Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!