Date: 6/11/20 3:04 pm
From: Frank Kolwicz <fhkolwicz1...>
Subject: [obol] BSNWR Snipe breeding
Hi, Bill,

Last year, when the marshes were drained, there was a Wilson's Snipe on the south side of the Coville Rd. parking area, "the narrows", that I think was breeding there. The bird was there making soft chirping sounds (don't remember exactly what it sounded like) and out in the open watching me watching it (probably photographing, too (me not it)).

I never saw young, but the behavior seemed like nest protection and lasted several days.

Frank

On 6/11/2020 1:36 PM, Bill Tice wrote:
> Hi All,
> I decided to avoid chores (again) and head to the refuge.  There were no Purple Martins around, and hardly any swallows.  I decided to walk along the road that intersects the east marsh from the main marsh, the one that goes to the HQs from Colville Rd.  In getting to the lower, flat area of the road, I heard the winnowing of snipe.  After about 5 minutes  I finally saw 2 of them, higher up than I expected one to be.  So not sure if this was a pair or 2 males vying for territory.  (have any ever bred on the west side of the Cascades?)  Also present were some 25 Ruddy Ducks, 8 of which were babies.  A pair of Lesser Scaup, 2 male wigeon and 1 male GW Teal and one female BW Teal with ducklings.
>
> They began spraying the field between me and my car, so I felt it best to wait until they were done.  That worked out well because a Bank Swallow came by, and, I was now able to count 6 Black Terns.  Probably a new record of sorts for the county.  It would seem like breeding will take place, and I saw what may have been some copulation, but, guess they needed their privacy and I could not verify such.
>
> I then headed over to Morgan Lake where there were both a Clark's and Western Grebe, which appear to be paired.  It would be interesting to see how long they stay.
>
> --
> Bill Tice
>
> :
> Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!