Date: 6/9/20 9:14 pm
From: Merle & Marsha <mghall...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Xavier Ave, Y Ave....Dallas County
:) I don't know that I'd call seven or eight birds over a half mile or so much of a "gathering" though. Merle
-------- Original message --------From: John Hanson <jlawrencehanson...> Date: 6/9/20 9:36 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Merle and Marsha Hall <mghall...> Cc: IA-BIRD <ia-bird...> Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Xavier Ave, Y Ave....Dallas County "strinkled" is now the official past-tense adverb for a gathering of Yellow-billed cuckoos. Awesome word!I hope to see a strinkling soon. -johnOn Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:08 PM Merle and Marsha Hall <mghall...> wrote:

After the rain stopped mid-afternoon, Marsha
and I took a trip down Xavier Ave and Y Ave.  We saw seven or
eight Yellow-billed Cuckoos strinkled all the way down south of
the bridge to 210th St.  Also, a pair of Cedar Waxwings which we
hadn't seen there yet this year, several Baltimore Orioles, a
couple of Rose-breasted Grosbeak, the usual number of Northern
Cardinals, Redwing Blackbirds and Tree Swallows, and heard a
Barred Owl.  Oh, and a family of about 10 Wood Ducks.

No sighting of the Sandhill Cranes this
time, maybe because they've harvested the crop from the field
east of the road, but the Bobolinks and Dickcissel's are still
in the tall grass on the west side of Y Ave near the feedlot,
though you about need a telescope to see the Bobolinks as they
were pretty far out.
Merle and Marsha Hall
Granger