Date: 6/8/20 10:11 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Least Flycatcher Deschutes County -
Lars,

I think an exact or near exact GPS point is appropriate for a point count
list, but is that how most people who report to ebird are conducting? If
the observer is traveling a quarter mile or two miles and the hotspot is
within that space traveled, is that not good enough? The answer of course
always depends on the goals of the research. In the case of ebird citizen
scientists merged with birding the goals of the research have not all been
identified.

David in Seaside, where there was a flock of waxing in a holly tree on
Necanicum today.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 21:58 larspernorgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:

> My suggestion , if you want to generate useful data for science, is put
> in " new personal location"
> And never use a hot spot again. There is an opportunity to insert a name
> after the gps coordinates of this new personal location, so it need not be
> anonymous, generic, what have you. GPS coordinates inserted into the
> comment section at the end of the list are a nightmare to convert to a pin
> drop. Researchers rarely refer to those notes. Paul Adamus recently
> mentioned the standard codes offered---"flyover""nesting" what have you .
> Using these standard codes in the same line as the species they reference
> is quite useful to a researcher. Putting them in the comments section means
> they will probably never be read.

Join us on Facebook!