Date: 6/8/20 7:52 pm
From: Chris Rimmer <crimmer...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Mansfield session #1
VCE launched its 29th field season on Mt. Mansfield this past
Thursday-Friday. Things are different this year, as the toll road is closed
and all buildings off-limits, but we managed to get up there with our gear
(thanks to a mechanized boost), and we slept under the stars in the upper
parking lot. Unlike our first couple of banding sessions a year ago,
weather cooperated, and the birds followed suit. We ended up with 60
captures in our 19 nets (we usually run 25), which kept Noel Dodge and me
plenty busy. Most noteworthy may have been our all-time single-visit record
of 6 banded Yellow-bellied Flycatchers, not a single one of which we ever
heard vocalize.

Apologies for such a belated report, and you can read more on the VCE blog:
https://vtecostudies.org/blog/vces-29th-season-on-mansfield-off-to-an-unusual-start/

Three of us are headed up again tomorrow afternoon. It's especially crucial
that we time our weekly visits to coincide with favorable weather this
season, since we lack any shelter up there--for us or the birds--without
vehicles or buildings!

More later in the week.
Chris

Chris Rimmer