Date: 6/8/20 11:11 am
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Possible Ovenbird - Luckiamute (Polk Co.)
Hi Nick, Maureen, Nicholas, et al,

A few years ago, I heard a very similar "teacher teacher teacher" song at
Gray Creek Swamp, Finley NWR, which got my heart rate up and had me
scrambling through the brush looking for a potential Ovenbird. Eventually,
I was able to spot the songster, which turned out to be a Common
Yellowthroat, singing a somewhat aberrant song.

I compared your recording to a lot of Ovenbird songs, and the tonal quality
doesn't quite seem to fit that species. To me, it sounds more like a COYE's
tone, so I would go with the idea of another weird yellowthroat song ...
but then again, I am by no means an expert on avian vocalizations.

Just my 2 cents. 😁

Good birding

Hendrik

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 10:50 AM Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
wrote:

> Nick, Maureen, et al.,
>
> After listening to this recording again, I believe the individual I
> thought was a second AMGO counter singing may actually be a Common
> Yellowthroat. Also, the intensity of the main singer’s vocalizations does
> sound a bit more deep and powerful than I’ve heard AMGO sound during a
> disjunct song. It also gains in volume. I suppose AMGO probably isn’t the
> best fit in this case, and I rescind that idea.
>
> The recording still sounds a bit odd for an Ovenbird, but I’m not too
> familiar with them and almost don’t feel experienced enough to comment on
> the range they can show. I suppose I could get on board with an atypical
> Common Yellowthroat, as they can sing 2 note song phrases. But yes, not
> sure how comfortable I’d feel listing this to the species level.
>
> It’s a tricky one and sorry I couldn’t be of more help!
>
> Best,
> -Nick Mrvelj (PDX)
>
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 7:16 PM Nicholas Martens <
> <nicholas.j.martens...> wrote:
>
>> Maureen and I heard an interesting warbler at Luckiamute SNA in Polk
>> Co. late this morning around 11am. Singing "teacher teacher teacher"
>> like an Ovenbird, but we weren't able to get eyes on it. Recording and
>> coordinates in our checklist. https://ebird.org/checklist/S70185024
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nick and Maureen
>> UNSUBSCRIBE: www.freelists.org/list/obol