Date: 6/8/20 11:07 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] ovenism
I originally thought this sounded ok for ovenbird, but the ovens I have heard and listened to online tended to put a little emphasis on the second half of each “teacher” and also tend to get louder as they go along.

In the late 1970s as I recall, I was on an Audubon field trip to Crane Prairie to look for the rare and local Osprey. The highlight was seeing a Sooty Grouse on a rock along the shore (we were in a boat) but we also had a perfect fake ovenbird. We had stopped for lunch on land and were eating when we heard it from a nearby riparian area. We all dashed over there and it sang again from a snag in front of us. It was a Red Crossbill.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

www.alanlcontreras.com