Date: 6/7/20 6:57 pm
From: <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] exceptionally vocal jay
There is a Steller's Jay at Thornton Creek, Lincoln, which has an exceptional vocal repertory. In addition to the usual clucks, cackles and hawk imitations normal for the species, this particular bird has also begun to mimic a number of other sounds, including imitations of other bird calls.. The first time I heard it doing this, I stopped to listen for a minute, because I thought it might have been an oriole. It gives five or six different imitative or invented calls I have never heard given by any other Steller's Jay.
Darrel

Join us on Facebook!