Date: 6/6/20 12:06 pm
From: James McCoy <jgmccoy350...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Worm-eating warbler?
I went to the East Croton unit of Shimek state forest this morning to see
if I could relocate the worm-eating warbler reported there recently by Tony
Moline. I followed each branch of the drainages there paying special
attention to areas with steep rocky slopes and dense underbrush. This area
is dense mature forest. I didn’t see the target bird, but heard the
attached song. After recording it I tried to get close enough for a
visual, but I quickly heard it a long way off then it stopped singing. I
never located it. It seems like a good prospect for worm-eating. Other
possibilities like Pine Warbler, swamp sparrow or chipping sparrow seem
less likely in this habitat, but I have seen chipping sparrows in the road
near by. Any more experienced ears want to weigh in?
Thanks,
Jamie McCoy