Date: 5/23/20 11:02 am
From: David Guertin <dave...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Golden and Blue-winged Warblers ... IDing, and submitting to eBird. ** Update.
Ian,

I really appreciate your efforts in clarifying the winged-warblers. I
had been guilty of thinking of hybrids solely in terms of the
Brewster's/Lawrence's hybrids named in the field guides, but have come
to learn that it's way more interesting than that! Thank you for the
education. These birds are fascinating. There's a male that has
settled in near my house which I had previously identified as a
Golden-winged, because that's what it looks like -- mostly. But a
conspicuous wash of yellow on his breast indicates that he is indeed a
hybrid.

And there's nothing wrong with that!

I want to find out more about hybrids that are being seen around here,
and what different types of hybrids, because they are so interesting,
but unfortunately eBird only seems to allow searching for "pure"
species. I can search for Blue-wings, or Golden-wings, but not
hybrids. To me, that's too bad, because they're as interesting in
their own right as the pure species, other than the fact that they
don't "count" for a checklist.

I'll still enjoy the mostly-but-not-pure-Golden-winged Warbler at home
as long as he chooses to stick around!

Oh, and one other thing: our local not-quite-Golden-winged Warbler has
been singing no less than three different variations of his song, one
of which is a simple bee-bzzz that sounds just like a Blue-winged
Warbler. So yeah, as you point out, song is not such a reliable
characteristic of these birds.

Dave G.

Join us on Facebook!