Date: 5/22/20 5:47 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Rockingham County Big Day - 144 species
Jane took today off for her birthday and we headed out to do a "Big Day"
to try to see or hear as many species as we can in one day.  I have done
this essentially every May for the last 35 years and Jane and I have
done it every year since 2002.  We kept our travel to eastern portions
of Rockingham County only, starting at 3:10 AM and ending at 6:40 PM.  A
very hot day, by far the hottest of the year, my car topped out at 91F
late in the day.  And by the end of the day, the seacoast was very
crowded.  Not on the beaches or parking areas, but everywhere else.
Long lines at Browns and Markey's and other restaurants.  I didn't see
many masks either.  :-(

Birds were good, but nothing terribly rare.  We did pretty well;
however, getting the expected breeding birds and ended with 144
species.  A very respectable total considering the conditions and the
lack of access to almost the entire coastline.  Fortunately, we were
able to park (with permission) on Great Boar's Head and picked up most
of the winter sea ducks rather quickly.

A few land bird migrants were noted along the immediate shoreline
including some Common Yellowthroats seemingly coming in from offshore,
but otherwise not a whole lot of migrants.  A large high level low off
the mid-atlantic coast has been blocking migration for the last week or
so.  Expect a lot more to come in the next week.

We started in Salem, but worked our way quickly to Pease Tradeport,
Hampton area, Deer Hill WMA, Pawtuckaway SP, Newmarket, Greenland, and
back down the coast to finish.

Total List - 144 species
-----------------------------
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
American Black Duck -1 in Meadow Pond.
Mallard
Green-winged Teal - 1 male continues on Meadow Pond.
Common Eider
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Hooded Merganser - Deer Hill WMA
Red-breasted Merganser - Hampton Harbor
Wild Turkey
Red-throated Loon - 1 at Great Boar's Head.
Common Loon - Remarkably only one bird at Great Boar's Head.
Pied-billed Grebe - Deer Hill WMA
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Green Heron - Deer Hill WMA.
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle - Adult in Hampton salt marsh.
Cooper's Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk - Just one for the day.
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel - Nice male at Deer Hill WMA.
Virginia Rail - Geremonty Road marsh in Salem.
Sora - Geremonty Road marsh in Salem.
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover - One seen along Hampton Beach from Great Boar's Head.
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper - Great Bay Farm only.
Greater Yellowlegs
Willet
Upland Sandpiper - About 3 or so from Short Street at Pease Tradeport.
Ruddy Turnstone - One in Hampton harbor.
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper - Huge flock of a few hundred in Meadow Pond.
Dunlin - One in Hampton harbor.
American Woodcock
Bonaparte's Gull - 5 or so in New Castle.  All 1st year birds.
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Least Tern - In the harbor and Hampton salt marsh.
Common Tern
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl - Pair dueting off Small Pox Road in Kingston.
Barred Owl - One off Cheney Road in Danville.
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - Only one and seen by Jane only. MIGRATING
NORTH over Hampton harbor bridge.  Jane looked out the passenger window
and there it was flying along and keeping up with my car!
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Pawtuckaway SP.
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee - ONLY ONE at Pawtuckaway in mid-afternoon. Still not
here yet in numbers?
Least Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher - Including one at Pawtuckaway SP picking at
road kill garter snake!  Looking for snake skin for nest???
Eastern Kingbird
Yellow-throated Vireo - A few at Pawtuckaway SP.
Blue-headed Vireo - A few at Pawtuckaway PS.
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven - One at Pease and another on nest tower in Stratham.
Horned Lark - Nice views of one at Pease Tradeport.
Purple Martin - 17 (!) off Cross Beach Road in Seabrook.
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch - One female at Pawtuckaway SP.
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper - 2 different birds singing in mid-afternoon (!!) at
Pawtuckaway.
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Winter Wren - 1 in Hemlock Grove at Pawtuckaway SP.
Marsh Wren - Only one.  Singing at Great Meadows in Kensington...not a
typical spot for us.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Veery
Hermit Thrush
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
American Pipit - Flyover at Pease Tradport calling.  One of the rarest
bird of the day.
Cedar Waxwing
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Blue-winged Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Magnolia Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler - Two for the day.  Male and female.
Blackburnian Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler - Two for the day.
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Wilson's Warbler - Two or three for the day.
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow - At least one off McIntyre Road in Newington at
traditional spot.
Saltmarsh Sparrow - One at Little Jack's restaurant in Hampton.
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow - Steve only along edge of Meadow Pond.
Swamp Sparrow
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Bobolink
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark - Pease Tradeport only.
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole - Pair at Powderhouse Pond in Exeter.
Baltimore Oriole
Purple Finch - One singing in Deerfield.
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

BIRDS MISSED
--------------------
Mute Swan - Difficult species to find now in NH.  Thankfully.
Eastern Screech Owl - Can't seem to find any in Salem.  May need to try
elsewhere in the future.
Mississippi Kite - We drove all around Newmarket, but no luck.
Purple Sandpiper - No doubt there were some on the coast, but who would
know when you can't see the ocean!
White-rumped Sandpiper - Not a common spring bird, but apparently some
have been in Meadow Pond.  We couldn't see any.
Short-billed Dowitcher
MARBLED GODWIT - Very rare bird seen by Holly Bauer today at Meadow
Pond.  We couldn't relocate it.
Laughing Gull
Roseate Tern - Perhaps 40 Common Terns in Hampton harbor, but no Roseates.
Common Nighthawk - Should have gone to Len Medlock's house!
Pileated Woodpecker
Alder & Willow Flycatcher - Not many back yet.
Fish Crow - Crows can be sadly silent at this time of year.
Nashville Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Canada Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
White-throated Sparrow - They seem to have left the area.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA