Date: 5/22/20 4:08 pm
From: Donna Stumpp <donna.stumpp...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Advocating for the birds - any county, CO
I am so excited to share some good news on the dam-mowing front! I talked
with one of the rangers at Standley Lake today (I have volunteered there
for a long time so we all know each other well), and she shared that the
irrigation district who manages the dam, FRICO, said they had never
considered the impact of the mowing on the nesting birds, and would be open
to changing the mowing schedule in the future!

In fact, they even invited the Park Naturalist to their next meeting to
share information with the team so they can learn and adjust the mowing
schedule accordingly! I am so thrilled. The rangers are diligent in their
support of FRICO and the dam by diligently citing people who tresspass, and
she suspected these efforts have built goodwill, making them receptive to
shifting the mowing. As we all know, those who control the water in
Colorado have a tremendous amount of power. I'm so grateful these parties
have a good relationship so the birds will fare better going foward!

Donna Stumpp
Westminster, CO