Date: 5/22/20 3:52 pm
From: <pittsjam...> <pittsjam...>
Subject: Re: My first posting - hope it's "worthy"
Peggy,
I enjoyed reading your "first post"!

Irvin Pitts
Lexington, SC

From: "Carolinabirds Listserve" <carolinabirds...>
To: "Carolinabirds Listserve" <carolinabirds...>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 3:27:27 AM
Subject: My first posting - hope it's "worthy"

Like most backyard birders, I have some cardinals that are regulars morning and evening. I was late tending to my platform feeder this morning and there was a cardinal hovering by the window to let me know this. I've seen hummingbirds do that but not a cardinal. Not wanting to upset one of my best customer, I immediately took care of the feeder. The next time I looked, the whole family was there. Today was the day to teach the young birds how to eat seed on their own and where to find an easy meal. The begging quivering of the young ones lasted only a short time before they were all surrounding the pile of fresh seed. Then his attention turned toward the female cardinal sitting on the sidelines and he fed her some seed as well. There were also etiquette/survival lessons to be learned: who goes first, when to retreat to a corner of the large platform, when to leave the vicinity (for a few minutes) I believe that these were all normal behaviors, but all very special to see. It was even
more heart-warning to be sought-after for the big day for this bird family.
Peggy Helms
In the middle of nowhere, near Bentonville, NC

Join us on Facebook!