Date: 5/22/20 2:48 pm
From: Janine Perlman <jpandjf...>
Subject: Re: When a Wood Thrush song becomes stressful
I'm really sorry, and know the feeling well.
Our experience is not with Wood Thrushes, but a lonely Pileated
Woodpecker. This is the second breeding season in a row that we have
only one, rather than the usual breeding pair. Her/his calls are
distressing to hear. So I add to your query, Jack, and wonder how common
it is that Pileateds can't recruit a mate in multiple consecutive years?

Janine Perlman
Alexander Mt., Saline Co.

On 5/22/2020 4:32 PM, Jack and Pam wrote:
> We have lived at Erbie, adjacent to the Buffalo National River, for 23
> years and many of those years, a Wood Thrush established a territory
> in the forest near the house.  These flute notes have long been one of
> my favorite natural sounds.  The thrush is usually most vocal early in
> the morning, and again at twilight.  Sometime in June the song
> frequency tapers off and becomes rare.  As if to assure us the bird
> hasn't left, we hear the notes now and then during the summer.
>
> This year is different.  There is a Wood Thrush as usual, but rather
> than confine its song to morning and evening the bird is singing from
> dawn to dusk, all day long.  He is singing now as I type this.  So, we
> worry that no female has found our fine specimen of a male Wood
> Thrush. It is getting late in the season.  The knowledge that this
> species is on the near-threatened list is not reassuring.
>
> Yesterday we thought maybe we heard two thrushes.  My understanding is
> that there is no clear evidence that the female Wood Thrush sings.
>
> If any of you have a resident Wood Thrush we'd be interested in how
> things are literally developing "in your neck of the woods."
>
> Jack

Join us on Facebook!