Date: 5/22/20 2:17 pm
From: Eric <elabato...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Summer Tanager - Indian Hill Reservation, West Newbury
Hello:

This morning at about 11:00 AM I saw a first spring male Summer Tanager at Indian Hill Reservation in West Newbury.

I took the trail up the hill from the little parking lot on Indian Hill Road to the field at the top of the hill. As soon as I entered the field, I turned left and saw a bird with a red tail moving around in a tangle at the edge of the field. My first thought was female cardinal. Then the bird must have noticed I was not carrying a camera because it flew out of the tangle and perched in the open about 20 yards away at eye level and I saw that it was a Summer Tanager. The tail was red and there were a some red patches elsewhere, but the the bird was mostly a greenish yellow color. I had parked at the Turkey Hill Road entrance to Pike's Bridge Road. I walked back to the car and drove to the Indian Hill parking lot and then went back up with my camera, but I could not relocate the bird.

Eric Labato
Malden, MA

Join us on Facebook!