Date: 5/22/20 1:40 pm
From: Laura Mendenhall <000002deafebcd1c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: only loosely about birds: citizen science project birders could help with
Fellow birders,

I have been asked by our U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service species status assessment team to reach out to the Kansas birding community to request your help in gathering regal fritillary (Speyeria idalia) observations while you are out birding. We are working on a species status assessment to determine if this butterfly needs to be given Endangered Species Act protection--a decision that will be made in May of 2022.

WHERE TO SUBMIT DATA

We have an iNaturalist project set up where you can record observations:
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/kansas-regal-fritillary
Alternatively, observations can be emailed directly to: <daniel_kim...>

HOW TO IDENTIFY

Information on how to identify the regal fritillary can be found here:
https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/es/southdakota/Citizen_Science.php
and on page 31 of the Pocket Guide to Common Kansas Butterflies:
https://gpnc.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2017/12/BFlyPocketGuide.pdf

Thank you--I know this is a birding listserv, but our team knows that birders are some of the best citizen scientists around.

Please let me know if you have any questions and please feel free to share,

Laura

Laura Mendenhall

<laura_mendenhall...>
Fish & Wildlife Biologist