Date: 5/22/20 1:12 pm
From: Kevin Gin <kevinagin...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Mt Hamilton & Grant Ranch (Vermilion Flycatcher continues)
This morning, May 22, I started off just east of Lick observatory at dawn and birded my way back to Grant Ranch, finishing around 11am. I made stops at Smith Creek Fire Station, Twin Gates trailhead, and bunch of other pullouts that looked birdy.

On Mt Hamilton Rd just West of Lick Observatory, I had CASSIN'S VIREO and OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER.

Another CASSIN'S VIREO was at Smith Creek, which was pretty birdy ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S69467822). ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S69467822 )

At Twin Gates trailhead, there were some LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH and a singing LARK SPARROW ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S69467673). ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S69467673 )

At Grant County Park, there were LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH at several places along the Hotel Trail and Lower Hotel Trail. The VERMILLION FLYCATCHER continued, but was difficult. I ended up seeing it from the Lower Hotel Trail, two nesting boxes (along the barbed wire) before the intersection with the Barn Trail, around 37.329788, -121.709765. The bird was uphill from there and I got distant views. In hindsight, a scope would have been helpful. https://ebird.org/checklist/S69467583

Kevin Gin
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#21631): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/21631
-=-=-