Date: 5/22/20 12:50 pm
From: Bob Bailey <bohemewarbler...>
Subject: Columbia Bottom CA - Black-billed Cuckoo, Alder Flycatcher
Andrew Young and I birded Columbia Bottom roughly between 8:30 - 11:00 this morning (5-22-20)

A complete eBird list will be posted later.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to mention that there were many Willow Flycatchers to be seen and heard, as well as one nearby singing Alder flycatcher and distant singing Black-billed Cuckoo. Unfortunatley, neither of their songs were captured in audio.

At the time, I believed the distant singing Black-billed Cuckoo was probably too distant to get pick up its song on my cellphone, but I soon regretted that I didn't at least try as it was clearly audible from the distance. Neither did I mark the spot in GPS coordinates where we heard it. However, I do recall it was just past the last little circular Info center on the left side of the road if one is coming from the boat dock towards the river. It was singing from the trees in the distance. There's a big gulf of tree space between the road and the distant trees there.

The Alder Flycatcher was seen and singing near the road just past the boat dock entrance as one heads toward the river. There is a small white sign that reads "No Hunting." It was perched just behind that sign. It sang about four times, but by the time I got my phone out to record it singing, it stopped singing. We waited for several minutes for it to sing again, but it just didn't.

We also had at least three Bell's Vireos also within that vicinity, and one further along the road. Yellow Warblers and Cedar Waxwings seemed to be everywhere.

Bob Bailey St. Louis, MO <bohemewarbler...>

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/
ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!