Date: 5/22/20 12:33 pm
From: Clifford Cathers <azbirding...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]AZ:05/22/20:Chiricahua Crescent Chested Warblers
External Email

So it is my off Friday and as the cat woke me up even earlier than normal, I decided to run down to the end of East Turkey Creek Road in the Chiricahua Mountains.  The CRESCENT CHESTED WARBLERs were at the end of the road (at the loop) at 7:05 AM, one bird singing it's head off in plain view, perched on an exposed limb of a dead ponderosa pine.  A second bird was singing upslope a short distance.  Both birds were to the right of the parking loop as you're facing the end of the road.  Knowing the song really helps.  I had a second even better look slightly downhill about 15 minutes later.

Other birds in the area included HAIRY WOODPECKER, ARIZONA WOODPECKER, WESTERN WOOD PEWEE, CORDILLERAN FLYCATCHER, DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER, PLUMBEOUS VIREO, BROWN CREEPER, HOUSE WREN, HERMIT THRUSH, AMERICAN ROBIN, YELLOW-EYED JUNCOs, SPOTTED TOWHEEs, WESTERN TANAGER, GRACE'S WARBLERs, RED-FACED WARBLERs, PAINTED REDSTARTs and a few others.

Route 181 from East Turkey Creek Road to 186 and up to Willcox had SCALED QUAIL, SWAINSON'S HAWKs, BOTTERI'S SPARROWs, CASSIN'S KINGBIRDs, GREATER ROADRUNNER and a few others.

Willcox Cochise Lakes was mostly barren but there were a few LONG-BILLED CURLEWs, 8-10 scattered WHITE-FACED IBIS (all with obvious scoped red eyes!), BLACK-NECKED STILTs, AMERICAN AVOCETs and a few others.

Clifford A. Cathers

Vail, AZ
Sent using https://www.zoho.com/mail/Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds