Date: 5/22/20 12:31 pm
From: Steve Hosmer <sjhosmer...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: Tan colored Snowy Egret at Glendale Recharge Ponds
This morning I went to the Glendale Recharge Ponds in Glendale (Maricopa
County), hoping to find the Forster's Tern that was there yesterday -- but
could not find it. I did, however, see a very strange looking Snowy Egret in
Pond 3 (NW pond basin). It looks like a typical adult breeding Snowy Egret
except the feathers are not pure white. The back of the head and nape, lower
neck and breast, back and coverts are all tan in color. Assuming the bird is
not in need of a good bath, I wonder if this is the result of diet or a
genetic pigment anomaly. I have never seen any photos of a Snowy Egret that
is not pure white. See the attached link to my eBird checklist which has
photos of the bird.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69469140

Take care and good birding.

Steve Hosmer