Date: 5/22/20 12:15 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Lark Sparrow south of Brownsville this morning
On my way to a Horned Lark monitoring site south of Brownsville around 08:00 this morning, I noticed an unusual tail pattern/shape for a sparrow that flew up off the gravel shoulder of Belts Rd.

Sure enough, when I turned around for a second look where it landed back on the gravel, it turned out to be a Lark Sparrow. A couple of territorial Savannah Sparrows were pestering it as it foraged along the south edge of the road.

This was a little west of where Bond Butte Rd. tees into Belts Dr. Approximate coordinates were N 44.3016° W 123.045°. The fields on both sides of the road are in grass-seed production, growing in a dense, tall monoculture as typical for that type of crop. Thus the only habitat suitable for a Lark Sparrow is the gravel edge of the road.

Later on (around 10:15) as I was leaving the site, I ran across Jamie Simmons and Tom Gilg birding along the east end of Belts Rd., so they might yet report if the Lark Sparrow stuck around.

The several Grasshopper Sparrows which have been singing in that area were seemingly being quiet by then. Now that the weather is getting warmer and they're getting farther along in their nesting cycle, Grasshopper Sparrows likely won't sing as late into the day as they were doing in previous weeks.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!