Date: 5/22/20 11:02 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (21 May 2020) 1 Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 21, 2020

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 3 3
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 1 1 1
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 1 1
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1 5 5

Observation start time: 12:30:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
THE DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD
WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (23): Chad Hutchinson, Brian Quindlen [plus 1], Ross Gallardy,
Melissa Gallardy, Zach & Rebecca Millen, Mike Hartshorne, Scott Stollery,
Nikki Flood, Adam Bartles, Holly Merker, Jason Horn, Joe Meloney, Sue
McLaughlin, Sabrena Boekell, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Hank Davis, Mike Defina,
Gerry Teig, and Molly Daly
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (40% cloud cover), Ceiling -9,500-30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 67 - 59F, Winds ESE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (36) and
Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” (BBB) - (Comments on the events & “feel” of
the day – read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks;
encounter other wildlife; discuss plants; while striving to laugh and have
FUN with it all! Notes on the raptors will be here, other birds and
wildlife we notice or discuss, and humorous (I hope) stories and anecdotes.
This isn’t brain surgery. Trust me, I know about that. I’ve already
been “dead” once (it’s overrated). So, you WILL have to forgive me,
but I AM going to have the ultimate fun with what remains of this life!
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ [PLEASE NOTE: On May 21, I sent out the new large
weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a newsletter. This is NOT
these reports you get from HawkCount. Rather, it’s the newsletter from
EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County year bird list, etc.. If
you aren’t receiving it and are a regular subscriber, look in your spam
– a few servers send it there. [go figure-lol] If you enjoy “the
blog,” featuring the county species list, and it ended up in your spam,
you’ll have to follow your provider’s method of “whitelisting” it,
marking it as “not spam” or it will always go there. You may also have
to ok the pictures and expand it at the end to see the entire thing -
it’s long and often truncated. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Today was to be a big day at Bucktoe. It was “Whimbrel Day.” The day
when traditionally, much of the Whimbrel population migrates north, being
seen in Canada on the 22nd. Traditionally, that is. This time the birds
didn’t get the memo. The least said, the better.
<BR><BR>
So, it was Whimbrel Day. That’s it. Not a single shorebird came by
today. Well, tomorrow is another day, right? [other highlights listed
below]
<BR><BR>
Adam was out early to start this “Whimbrel Day.” He was followed by
over 20 others, many with scopes and long lenses which are usually
essential. Then suddenly, there was a “Little Blip” on the radar and
there was Holly. [gotcha] We had lots of laughs, told lots of stories and
didn’t see lots of birds.
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their sponsorship, and
especially, to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but
gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch,
and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Barred Owl,
Willow Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Purple Martins, Brown
Thrashers, Yellow-breasted Chat, Orchard Orioles, and Indigo Buntings
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.38; Steps:
17,314; Floors: 27
<BR><BR>
for Kites, other Hawks, and shorebird flocks must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year. The overall list
for the season from the watch will be part of the large weekly “blog,”
if you’ve signed up for that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season:
82
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Broad-winged Hawk.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a washout with rain. There may be some time
between showers, but I do not expect a flight.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 9pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...>
with questions or comments.

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek