Date: 5/22/20 10:56 am
From: Wendy Perrone <wendy...>
Subject: Re: Lack of insects (Tucker)
We had a yellow billed cuckoo turned in from Monroe county 2 days ago, starving. (It died.) Insects here at Three Rivers Avian Center are few and far between, even spiders.  We have 1 or 2 hummers, that's it.  Multiple pairs of Baltimore Orioles are coming in to our suet feeders, as are indigo buntings.  A couple of male scarlet tanagers came in last Sunday (May 17) but one the rains hit  Monday night we havent heard or seen them.  We are usually seeing quite a few brown thrashers and towhees, there are very few of them so far too.We got 3.5 inches of rain between Monday evening and this morning (May 22) according to the rain gauge. And cold temps.The habitat is wooded hillsides, some level benches with a few small clearings, usually measuring less than 8 acres.  We are located in Summers County on Chestnut Mountain in the New River Gorge National River.  (Our address says Brooks Mountain Road, I guess because the road comes down from our mountain into Brooks...LOL).-Wendy Perrone, Executive Director, Three Rivers Avian Center, Brooks (Hinton) WV. www.tracwv.org.   Sent from my smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: "Olcott, Susan P" <Susan.P.Olcott...> Date: 5/22/20 1:24 PM (GMT-05:00) To: <WV-BIRD...> Subject: Re: Lack of insects (Tucker) I've had a couple of calls about dead barn swallows (adults and nestlings).  The individuals were in too bad shape for analysis, but the occurrence is troubling.  Additionally, the whip-poor-wills that have set up there territory around my house in southern Monongalia Co haven't been heard since the cold snap.  No insects for them to eat especially at night.Susan OlcottWVDNRLepidoptera and Pollinator Conservation Project LeaderPO Box 99, 1110 Railroad StFarmington WV 26571(304)825-6787-----Original Message-----From: Audubon birding discussion for WV <WV-BIRD...> On Behalf Of Wilbur HershbergerSent: Friday, May 22, 2020 10:44 AMTo: <WV-BIRD...>: Re: Lack of insects (Tucker)I too am noticing a lot of birds coming to the suet feeders this spring. Tufted Titmice, chickadees, Red-winged Blackbird, Pine Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (when they were moving through), and lots of Blue Jays. Of course, with these and the woodpeckers, they are cleaning me out twice daily.Wil HershbergerHedgesville, WV

Join us on Facebook!