Date: 5/22/20 10:04 am
Subject: Least Bittern continues at Flat Rock - Lake Crabtree shorebird show
I birded the Flat River impoundment first thing this morning and heard Least Bittern calling more or less continually from 6:45 am to 7:45 am.  It was at the first impoundment and seemed to be toward the right hand side as you walk in (south side), but I could hear the call from every side of the impoundment as I walked around it.  However, in spite of much scanning, I never saw the bird.  While I was there I heard the 3-note call of a Greater Yellowlegs, looked up and saw one flying over.
I then headed over to Crabtree Lake and the birds were putting on a very nice show at the flooded grass field to the delight of a sizable crowd of birders.  The 4 Northern, er... Red-necked Phalaropes were spinning around in the water less than 100 feet away, and a White-rumped Sandpiper walked along the water's edge even closer.  At one point, a Least, and Semipal were on either side of it, giving us a great comparison of size, shape and coloration in good light!  And yes, a Greater Yellowlegs was again present, along with at least 8 Spotted Sandpipers.  In addition, there were several Great Blue Herons chowing down on the fish trapped in the shallows, and dozens of mallards, including one or two hens with downy chicks.  Quite a spectacle.
I didn't see any terns or gulls flying around, but I didn't venture over by the boat ramp or dam.  Several photos are included in my ebird report:  https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S69459191__;!!OToaGQ!-ZM8TI0liRK71z3YZEcMUimUSWsbU_RVaALI5w_slIcA27hqO2SGhYjnDv42DcDFRJ4$
Dave FischerCary

Join us on Facebook!