Date: 5/22/20 9:43 am
Subject: Lake Crabtree shorebirds (the few, the proud)
With clearing weather come more chances for our friendly shorebirds to continue on their journey north. Hormones are, after all, calling. So many fewer birds than yesterday, but still some red letter species hanging out.

But the sunshine makes for much better viewing and photography, and numbers of folks took advantage of the opportunity for both, especially with the birds being, at times, just a few dozen feet away.

Greater Yellowlegs - 1. No doubt on this fella. Grayish base to bill, rather pedestrian feeding style. Sleeping happily with the ducks.
Red-necked Phalarope - 4. These little girls were putting on a great show, spinning in the sun just in front of the crowd. Nice.
White-rumped Sandpiper - 1. Just gorgeous. Rusty cap and back contrasting nicely with gray and black feathering. Just sublime.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 3. Must have missed the bus that all the others caught.
Spotted Sandpiper - 8. Bobbing, rocking, and trying to stay out of the way of the thrashing grass carp sloshing around in ankle deep water.

A nice likely last hurrah for our northbound shorebirds, at least here in the flatlands. Now set the timer for about 6 weeks for the first southbound birds!

Steve Shultz
Apex NC

Join us on Facebook!