Date: 5/22/20 9:12 am
From: Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Pre-dawn chorus, anyone?
5 a.m. - It starts in the yards around my home in Sonoma.  Joyous territorial proclamations not drowned out (yet) by traffic noises.  Chink.....chink..... chink, the Towhee dominates as well as the Mockingbird, the House Finches ending their song with a question mark.  Goldfinches, Nuthatches, Titmice, Black-headed Grosbeak, Scrub Jay and Crow, Quail (babies seen now) Eurasian Collared Dove, Bewick's Wren and more, I'm sure, sloshing around in a thick soup of song.

I wish I could get Bernie Krause to record this for posterity.  (So sad that his recordings of bird song in Sugarloaf Ridge State Park now are tragically too quiet.)  I think the bird populations where I live have increased as people turn to providing bird baths and putting out feeders.  Anyway, from the sounds I hear in the pre-dawn hours, I swear the chorus is more robust than ever.
Cynthia Boyer
Sonoma