Date: 5/22/20 8:25 am
From: maevulus <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Grape jelly???
On 2020-05-22 10:19, Barbara Brosnan wrote:
> A neighbor just asked me if the corn syrup (or anything else) in grape
> jelly
> is not good for the orioles she is feeding. Anyone know if it is still
> okay?
>

> Barbara Brosnan
>
> Weybridge
Many store-bought jellies have corn syrup or corn-based sweeteners in
them, and there's been some debate about whether these are healthy for
birds. I can't find any study proving one way or the other, though. This
post has some of the argument:
https://blog.lauraerickson.com/2019/06/feeding-jelly-to-birds.html
You can buy BirdBerry Jelly, which the orioles around here absolutely
love. You can also feed them homemade jellies, which have nothing but
fruit, sugar, water and pectin. I've tried quince and currant jellies
with success.
Several articles warn about putting out too much jelly at one time for
several reasons. It's best to offer small batches each morning.
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Join us on Facebook!