Date: 5/22/20 8:12 am
From: Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Continuing Ibis at Whetstone, plus Grasshopper Sparrows and Black Tern
Hi all,

I went searching for the ibis Alex and Lauren first found earlier in fields west of Whetstone Pond. Met Gary S. who was also searching. The bird wasn’t visible on our first swing by the cattail corner at the west end of the field so we continued up to the grassy fields to the north thinking we might spy it in some of the other ponds.

In the grassy fields (where the short-eared and barn owls were hunting earlier in the year) there were at least 2 singing grasshopper sparrows, one of which came in close for us, the other was out beyond the road that cuts through.

On the return the ibis was obliging out in the open, giving great views in stunning light - sun beams, rainbows, dark storms and white wisps everywhere!

As a final touch, on our way back past the pond a black tern swooped in for a brief appears before rising and heading east. Given its trajectory, height, and the looming storm in its path, I think it’s reasonable to guess it might be spending the night at Agate Lake, for anyone interested in chasing it.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69298947

Matt Cahill