Date: 5/22/20 8:06 am
From: Chase Davies <rockybirder...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Mower County Midge Hatch Musings
I have been noticing that the few migrants I have stopped to observe for a
while seem to have to search longer and farther for food than in past
springs. I realize this is anecdotal, however I wonder if last summer's so
frequent rain events disrupted survival rates of short-lived insects.
Perhaps they were washed from substrates, or at critical times it was too
cold/wet for proper development. Perhaps there is lowered food availability
this season and migrant birds are skipping through or over local areas.
Any thoughts out there? Chase Davies, Roseville

Join us on Facebook!