Date: 5/22/20 7:37 am
From: William Young <wayoung04...>
Subject: Report: Trout Run Nature Preserve
Pennsylvania Birders,

Hope you are well. My name is William Young, and I am a young birder from Lancaster. Currently, I am participating in the ABA's Young Birder of the Year Mentoring Program. One of the modules I am participating in is the Field Notebook Module, in which contestants make detailed observations while in the field, then share their sightings via ebird, listerv, and other methods. This email hopes to fulfill the sharing component of the observation.

Yesterday morning, I had the opportunity to visit Trout Run Nature Preserve south of Willow Street. Although cold, it was an excellent morning. Perhaps the best sighting of the morning was six Swainson's Thrushes, three of which were singing. Swainson's Thrushes are unusual in high numbers in Lancaster, so this was indeed a special occasion.

Below is an eBird checklist which details the morning:

Trout Run Nature Preserve (Lancaster Co.), Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US
May 21, 2020 5:25 AM - 6:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.2 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Clear and cool with temperatures ranging from 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit. Very little wind coming from NW at 1 mph. Birds active, despite the cold temperatures. It seems that there was a major push of migrant, and especially of thrushes. I walked the main trail for most of the time, and also birded around the parking lot. This checklist was submitted in park of the Young Birder of the Year Mentoring Program's Field Notebook Module.
32 species

Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 2 Seen perching on powelines by parking lot.
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1 Singing/displaying bird.
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus) 1 Calling.
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 1 Singing bird.
Acadian Flycatcher (Empidonax virescens) 1
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 3
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 4 Loosely associating with each other.
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 6 Small flock.
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) 3
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 6 All singing birds. Higher count for this species due to recent decline.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 2 Calling.
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 4
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 1 Flyover.
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 1 Singing and displaying in brushy area by parking lot.
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 6 High count for this location. Three of these birds were singing, the others were seen.
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina) 12 Most birds singing. Throughout the preserve.
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 5 Calling and singing.
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 1 Calling by parking lot.
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 1 Singing bird by parking lot.
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) 3 Calling and singing.
Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) 1 Heard by parking lot. Singing adult male.
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 3 Throughout the preserve. All singing birds.
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 2 Flyovers.
Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) 1 Singing bird.
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 2 One singing bird observed. Another was seen, and was an adult female.
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 1 Singing bird.
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 1 Singing type A song.
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea) 4 Including two singing males.
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 12 Throughout the preserve.
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 3 By parking lot and along the stretch of the Enola Low Grade Biking Trail. All birds were adult males.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S69455598

Thank you for your time, and have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Sincerely,

William Young

Join us on Facebook!