Date: 5/22/20 7:31 am
From: sharon kearns <skwalks...>
Subject: Lack of insects
I have a huge population of non-native six-spotted grasshoppers in my back
field denuding my native tree plantings for the Golden-winged Warbler
Program for years. This is the first year that I have really appreciated
them for the food they have been giving to the birds. When the first lay
down of Orioles and Scarlet Tanagers then Indigo Buntings occurred due to
weather here the birds were well fed. Most of them moved on recently but I
still have a few who normally breed around here coming in to eat. The
turkeys always love these grasshoppers. Eventually the grasshoppers
complete their life cycle and plants grow again. I use no pesticides here,
trying to keep everything as organic as possible and the back field is not
intensely cropped but devoted to wildlife and occasional crops.
Sharon Kearns currently in
Hillsboro, Pocahontas County, WV

Join us on Facebook!