Date: 5/22/20 4:31 am
From: Carol Evans <evanscarol75...>
Subject: [va-bird] Re: Bluebird Box Question
I wouldn't empty the box just yet. What is the nesting material you found
in the opening? If it's twiggy stuff, it could be that a house wren is
taking it over. A box full of messy nesting material can be HOSP signature,
as you probably know from fighting them. Their nests tend to have a
dome--so plenty of material at the top of the box.

If the bluebirds are building on top of the old nest they can fill it up
too. I've seen bluebird nests covering the opening of one of those
multi-apartment houses that are hard to clean out.

If it were mine, I'd watch for a while to see who is going in and out with
nesting material and respond (or not) accordingly.