Date: 5/22/20 3:33 am
From: Larry Arnold <larnold47...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] [eBird Alert] Ada County Rare Bird Alert

Thank you, Scott !!

I have empathy for eBird reviewers overall, their job being basically a thankless one for all that they do......across the U.S., across Canada, you name it, but when we start squeezing the filters it's like we're forgetting that birds have wings. A couple nearby examples that come to mind in support of your comments, are Highland Valley Ranch Rd and Shaw Mtn Rd.... you needn't drive very far, albeit with some elevation change (but almost insignificant per my perspective), and birds start hitting filters. If I were doing a similar drive in the Pocatello area, yes I see dramatic changes in vegetation (from sage and mixed shrub, into juniper, then aspen, then ponderosa, finally mixed conifer) but not here in the Boise area, so I'm like you Scott regarding our "foothills."

The eBird reviewers control their workloads in this sense, and I understand the need for "high quality data" but I can't help thinking "for what?" do we need so much compartmentalization? For much of this SW part of Idaho I don't see dramatic changes in elevation nor of vegetation to warrant squeezy tight filters... yes here's a patch of sage, and over there is a patch of greasewood, but, but, but ??

First thoughts after first cuppa tea this morning... =)

Thx again for chiming in, Scott, you don't sound grouchy to me, more like experienced, concerned, insightful, valuable to this conversation =)

Larry