Date: 5/22/20 12:28 am
Subject: My first posting - hope it's "worthy"
Like most backyard birders, I have some cardinals that are regulars
morning and evening. I was late tending to my platform feeder this morning
and there was a cardinal hovering by the window to let me know this. I've
seen hummingbirds do that but not a cardinal. Not wanting to upset one of
my best customer, I immediately took care of the feeder. The next time I
looked, the whole family was there. Today was the day to teach the young
birds how to eat seed on their own and where to find an easy meal. The
begging quivering of the young ones lasted only a short time before they
were all surrounding the pile of fresh seed. Then his attention turned
toward the female cardinal sitting on the sidelines and he fed her some
seed as well. There were also etiquette/survival lessons to be learned: who
goes first, when to retreat to a corner of the large platform, when to
leave the vicinity (for a few minutes) I believe that these were all
normal behaviors, but all very special to see. It was even more
heart-warning to be sought-after for the big day for this bird family.
Peggy Helms
In the middle of nowhere, near Bentonville, NC

Join us on Facebook!